This is my new favourite Winter soup - warming, filling and delicious! It is also easy to make and perfect for sharing between 2 people.
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
200g salmon fillet, cut into small chunks
125g Reilly Shellfish lobster meat
300g chicken stock
250ml double cream
Small crusty loaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook on a gentle heat until softened.
2. Add the stock, potato and thyme and simmer for 10-15 mins. Check the carrot and potato pieces are soft.
3. Cut off the top of the loaf, and then carefully remove the bread from inside the bottom half. Place the 'crust bowl' on a pasta dish or shallow serving dish.
4. Add the salmon chunks and lobster meat to the pan and continue to cook until the salmon pieces turn light pink.
5. Then, add the cream and stir. Continue heating until the soup starts to bubble.
6. Turn off the heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Carefully spoon/pour the soup into the crust bowl. Serve immediately.
Additional serving suggestions
* The top of the loaf can be sliced and used to dip into the soup.
** The bread removed from the loaf can be cubed, fried and made into croutons to be sprinkled on the soup at serving time.
*** Although I have used salmon and lobster, any seafood can be added eg. prawns, clams, haddock.