Potted Crab Serves 4
Perfect as a starter or when dining al fresco.
300g white crab meat (flaked)
500g unsalted butter
Pinch of mace
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of paprika
2 bay leaves
Pinch of black pepper
- Melt the butter and add the bay leaves.
- Skim off any residue.
- Add the mace, cayenne, paprika, black pepper on a low heat.
- Put the crab meat into a large bowl and gently pour over the melted butter, reserving a little for topping off the pots, at the end.
- Stir and coat all the meat, before serving into ramekins.
- Gently press the mixture in, using the back of a teaspoon.
- Pour over the remainder of the butter mixture to form a 'lid'.
- Leave to stand for 30 mins then refrigerate to set.
- Serve on a slice of freshly baked bread, toast or oatcakes.